The following is an extensive list of the food scraps and other small compostables which we collect for Wise Owl Compost. If you don’t see something on the list below, you can contact us to see if we can accept it in your collection bucket!
- ALL fruit and vegetable scraps
- Egg shells (crushed)
- Coffee grounds
- Coffee filters
- Loose leaf tea and SOME tea bags*
- Used paper napkins and paper towels
- Unwaxed cardboard pizza boxes (ripped or cut into small pieces)
- Paper bags (shredded- OR you can line your bucket with one!)
- Cooked pasta and cooked rice
- Stale bread, pitas, or tortillas
- Stale chips, crackers and cereal
- Spoiled pasta sauce or tomato paste
- Crumbs from the bottom of snack food packaging
- Paper towel and toilet paper rolls (shredded)
- SOME paper plates (shredded)**
- Nut shells (EXCEPT for walnut shells)
- Popcorn kernels
- Old herbs and spices
- Stale pretzels, croutons and pizza crusts
- Stale pumpkin, sunflower or sesame seeds
- Avocado pits and peanut shells
- Moldy jelly, jam, or preserves
- Toothpicks and Bamboo skewers (broken into pieces)
- Paper cupcake or muffin cups
- Used facial tissues
- Hair from your hairbrush
- Trimmings from an electric razor
- Old loofahs (the kind made from GOURDS, cut into pieces)
- Nail clippings
- 100% cotton cotton balls
- SOME cotton swabs***
- Wood and Pencil shavings (in moderation)
- Leaves trimmed from houseplants
- Dead houseplants and their soil
- Flowers from floral arrangements
- Natural potpourri
- Used matches
- Ashes from untreated wood (in moderation)
- Fur from the dog or cat brush
* Tea bags can be made from synthetics. If yours are, you can still dump the tea leaves into your bucket. ** Paper plates are sometimes waxed for durability. If yours are, you can’t include them. *** Cotton swabs can be made with plastic sticks. Only include the type with 100% cotton and paper sticks in your bucket.
NEWSPAPERS & CARDBOARD EGG CARTONS: No need to include these in your bucket! We are happy to collect these separately. Please tie stacks of newspaper together for easier pick-ups. Egg cartons can open be nestled into one another. These will have to be put out on collections nights without any precipitation.
LEAVES: We are able to accept some leaves during the fall but we encourage you to work with your local municipalities for leaf clean-up. For additional questions, please contact us.
CHRISTMAS TREES, WREATHS & GARLANDS: Check back for more info!
PLEASE NOTE: We cannot accept “everything” that is compostable at this time for health and safety reasons. DO NOT INCLUDE anything in your bucket which has been contaminated with urine & feces (human or animal), blood, or semen. Thank you for your cooperation!